Are you a Lawn owner worried that you find the Red Thread Lawn Disease in your plants? The major cause of this disease when is affected by the fungus, which turns the green grass pinkish-red color. There are some organic methods and other methods to eliminate this fungus given in this article.
What is the Red Thread Lawn Disease?
Red Thread Lawn disease is a disease that is caused for grass in the lawns, which is scientifically called Laetisaria Fuciformis. This mainly affects grass like turfgrass, Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass, etc. If the Lawn is affected by this fungus, you can see some patches on the grass with pinkish-red color.
This fungus can be difficult to see in the initial stages. Still, later it will become visible through which you can identify the disease. This disease slows down the growth of the plants, which makes healthy green grass into pinkish grass patches. The symptoms, causes, and the process of getting rid of this fungus are given in this article.
Causes of the Red Thread Lawn disease:
A Lawn or yard is an open space that is also open for many funguses and diseases. There are some fundamental causes for the Red Thread Lawn disease. they are,
- If the temperature is 40 to 75 Fahrenheit, this disease affects the Lawn. The garden is safe, with an optimal temperature of 60 to 75 Fahrenheit.
- As the temperature increases during the summer and spring, there is a high chance during this season. But this can cause at any time of the year, irrespective of the season.
- If the Lawn’s atmosphere is humid and has high moisture, there is a chance that the grass can attract the fungus.
- Without proper care and maintenance.
- Droughts are also one reason for the growth of this fungus in the lawns.
- The Lawn is healthy if the plants and grass have low nitrogen and nutrients.
How to Identify the Red Thread Disease?
If the Lawn or yard is affected by the Red thread lawn disease, you can find the pinkish thread-like branches. We know that the healthy grass will be green in color, and you can easily point out the non-green branches. In 1 to 2 inches in length, the pink branched or thread patches are visible.
This symptom is mostly found in turfgrass, Kentucky bluegrass, perennial ryegrass, etc. Whenever you find the temperature hot, dry, and humid, immediately check the Lawn. As this disease can slow down the healthy plant’s growth, it is important to eliminate it.
How to get rid of the Red Thread Lawn Disease?
Are you concerned after finding the Red Thread Lawn Disease symptoms in your Lawn? I do not know how to eliminate this problem which affects plants and grass growth. Some chemical methods exist to eliminate this disease, but residential areas have better options.
You can eliminate this disease when the Lawn is in favorable weather conditions. However, this is difficult as the weather changes continuously. You can use the following ways to get rid of this problem.
- Feed your Lawn with a nitrogen fertilizer to reduce the fungus’s growth.
- One of the causes of this fungus is the excessive moisture in the soil, so water the Lawn before noon so the water gets absorbed easier.
- Trim the Lawn with a lawnmower regularly to cut down the weeds and other unhealthy plants.
- Maintaining the pH level in the soil can also helps to get rid of the fungus, so add lime into the soil to maintain the pH level between 6 to 6.5.
- You must remember that lawns or yard needs only require moisture, so do not water heavily.
Ways to prevent the Red Thread Lawn disease:
Prevention is always better because conditions can make it difficult to cure any disease. The condition can worsen when any fertilizer or chemical cannot treat it. So prevent the cause of the disease before the effect.
Remove the excessive thatch so it doesn’t affect the healthy Lawn.
A Lawn needs regular fertilizer feeding to prevent any disease, so use various fertilizers to prevent different diseases. If the grass is healthy, the chance of the fungus attack also decreases.
If you plant the plants too close, without giving any space for other plants can improve the chance of the fungus attack. So make sure you plant different plants with enough space.
We have mown the Lawn regularly to remove the excessive growth of weeds.
The common disease Lawn owners observe in their lawns in humid, fry, and hot weather is the Red Thread Lawn disease. The major cause of this disease is temperature change in spring and summer. This disease reduces the nutritional values in the soil, which slows down the growth of plants. So, feed your Lawn regularly with nitrogen-rich fertilizer and other nutritional values.
This disease affects the Lawn and shows symptoms of the pinkish branches or threads in the Lawn. The scientific name of this disease is Laetisaria Fuciformis.
At the beginning stage of this disease, the symptoms are not visible. But after a few days, you can see the pinkish-red threads in the Lawn.
The temperature has to be optimal, which is between 65 to 75 Fahrenheit. Still, this disease can cause if the temperature is between 40 to 75 Fahrenheit.
This disease is quite different from other fungus, where it spreads down through the soil.